Monday, February 11, 2013

Speeding to Nursing School


Speeding through (or to) Nursing School

When I was in nursing school I had it easy as far as my commute went.  I literally lived 5 minutes away from campus!  And although I am one of those who is always early- I came into a couple mishaps that made me almost late to class and lab- which (in my book of OCD) is unacceptable!

In my last semester I had 3 o’clock lab and hadn’t missed or been late to one in my whole nursing school career.  But on this fateful day I was EXHAUSTED and decided to take a nap- next thing I knew I was looking at my watch and it was 5 minutes before I was supposed to be in class- AHHHH!  I sped from my neighborhood to lab at an amazing embarrassing 25 mhp over the speed limit.

And then I saw it.  Those blue lights in my review mirror.  I was getting PULLED OVER! My heart was racing and I was so humiliated, and even worse- I was going to be even more late than if I had not been speeding!!!! GREAT!

As the officer approached my window I was just thinking about it was too late to look sexy- hell! I just woke up from a nap and my hair was a wreck! There went my first defense! Then the officer asked where I was headed in such a hurry.  I stuttered that I was late to my nursing lab and he interrupted me with his acknowledgement of my nurse sticker on my rear windshield.  He said he was not in the habit of giving nurses speeding tickets and to slow down because everyone is late some times and he let me go with a warning!!!! THANK YOU LORD! And even though I was late to lab- I escaped a speeding ticket that day and felt unstoppable and skipped off to class!


I have heard so many stories about nurses and nursing students getting out of speeding tickets due to the nursing paraphernalia on their car, I guess cops feel for their fellow civil servants. You must know that I’m not condoning speeding, but I am suggesting that nursing stickers on your windows are a great investment! 

No comments:

Post a Comment