Monday, February 11, 2013

Anxiety in Clinical


                                AnXiEtY                   


As nursing students or graduate nurses just starting out, it is completely normal to be plagued with anxiety when it comes to patient care.  Whether you are in clinical or starting your first job- nervousness and anxiety are something to be expected. 

I would be rather concerned if a new nursing grad or a student nurse on the floor for the first time was not a bit jittery.  The environment, the fellow nurses and the organization of the whole unit is quite a mystery. I feel that when you’re nervous, usually you take extra precautions to make sure that you are doing everything just right.

Some things that I have learned over the years in nursing school that helped me with my jitters are the following simpleton ideas. 

I make friends in my clinical – ones that I can talk to and connect with about how I am feeling- you will find that most feel the same as you!

I introduce myself to the nurses that I will be working with- they will be more likely to help you out and be friendly with you if you put your hand out there for them to shake and introduce yourself.  There! Now no one on the floor is a stranger anymore!

I am especially nice to my clinical professor- I know, I know there are some stinkers out there- but I promise you will get one or two that will touch your life forever and mold you into the best nurse you can be!  All the others must be tolerated and respected just the same, but it really makes a difference to have a GREAT professor guiding you.

I chew gum.   And yes, I know it’s against the rules- but if you hide it well enough when you are in front of people until you get a chance to dip into the supply room to find your IV tubing you can chew the HELL out of that gum and channel your anxiousness

I keep something fun in my pocket to play around with when I am getting nervous.  Usually it was one of those pens with the multiple colors on top and I would go around in the circle of colors Click Click Click – it helps!

Finally, STAY BUSY! If there is nothing for you to do, ask your patients if they need anything (water, snacks, warm blankets, etc.) they most likely will and you will be able to strike up a conversation with them and learn a bit more about who they are.  If you find this happening a lot, maybe its time to ask your clinical professor for a bigger patient load- GO YOU!

I hope that you learn to embrace clinical- even though getting up a the stinking crack of dawn and not having the rotation your heart really wished for is a pain in the booty- clinical is still worth the experience.  If you remain nervous and closed off during clinical, you are not going to get anything out if it!  You are going to tip toe through it and fail to learn the great lessons there are to learn. 

Note: people who have consistent anxiety (outside of clinical and nursing school in general) should seek help from a professional and get treated.  Anxiety is not a simple problem and can really wreak havoc on a person’s body and mind. 



Step out from behind the stigma and get your mental health in check- the only way you will be able to help others is by first helping yourself!

Do you suffer from anxiety? Let's talk about it! You're not alone.


No comments:

Post a Comment