Saturday, January 19, 2013

Nail Polish is Necessary

Nursing School Nail Polish Blues

When I was in nursing school I was super bummed that nail polish was against the dress code in clinical.  Not that you couldn't ever get them done- but what is the point in paying for a manicure when you have to keep your nails trimmed and plain? 

I remember wearing nail polish to clinical one day to see if any one would notice. They did. Luckily it was a crappy polish and I could chip it away because there was talk of sending me home from clinical!! YIKES!  Never again did I make that mistake, that's for sure! 



I thought my creative nail genius was going to be hampered forever- especially since it seemed to hit smack dab in the middle of the nail art craze!  To my surprise, I noticed some of the seasoned nurses at the clinical sites I attended were, in fact, wearing nail polish! The first time I noticed it was on a friend of the family who happened to work in the NICU I was working in for the day. Purple nail polish!!! So cute! 

I. Was. So. Relieved. 

I remember two days before I took the FINAL final exam of nursing school, I treated myself to a study break at my near by nail salon.  I got a full set of  acrylics and it seemed to lift my mood for our final exam! I did great and I have the confidence boost from my fancy nails to thank! (and endless hours of studying under my belt)  :) 

Here are some nails that I was especially fond of this winter- I love knowing the possibilities are endless! Isn't it funny how something so simple can make someone so happy?! 

Jibber Jabber... 
What is something you love that you had to give up for nursing school? 





2 comments:

  1. Hi Nurse Casey! We are so happy that you included our image in your blog post and commenting about it on the Cherokee Facebook Page!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Kim! It was just what I was in need of when I wrote this post!

    ReplyDelete